Skip to content

Post-study work rights extension for eligible international students

Find out how you can stay and work after completing your studies.

Woman with scarf smiling at outdoor table
Woman with scarf smiling at outdoor table

Are you an international student studying in Australia and considering your post-graduation options? If so, you may be interested in the Temporary Graduate Work visa (subclass 485), which allows international students to stay and work in Australia after completing their studies. This visa is an excellent opportunity for graduates to gain work experience and enhance their skills in an Australian work environment.

What is the subclass 485 visa extension?

From 1 July 2023, post-study work rights will be extended for eligible graduates of qualifications identified by the Australian Government. This means that the ‘stay and work’ period for bachelor, master, and PhD degree graduates will increase significantly. The number of years visa holders can remain in Australia will increase by the following:

  • Bachelor degree graduates will now have four years of work rights, up from two years previously.

  • Master degree graduates will have five years, up from three years previously.

  • PhD graduates will have six years, up from four years previously.

This extension is a significant boost for international students and graduates who wish to explore career opportunities in Australia. Graduates will have more time to gain work experience, enhance their skills, and potentially qualify for other visas or permanent residency.

Happy female Muslim friends walking on sidewalk in city

What if I study in a regional area?

Eligible students who choose to study, live, and work in regional areas can also receive an additional one to two years of work rights, on top of the two years already granted. This is excellent news for students who want to explore the unique cultural experiences and job opportunities that regional Australia offers.

Why is there an extension?

As Australia is experiencing a skills shortage in many key industries, this extension of post-study work rights will mean qualified graduates can help fill any gaps. A few examples of eligible occupations include registered nurse, teacher, pharmacist, and engineer.

How do I prepare for living in Australia as a graduate?

As an international student studying in Australia, it is essential to ensure that you have adequate health cover. nib offers various health cover options which meet the Australian Government's health insurance requirements for international students and graduates.

Once you finish your studies and move to a graduate visa, your OSHC (Overseas Student Health Cover) will no longer cover you. Therefore, if you want to continue with health coverage, you will need to purchase OVHC (Overseas Visitors Health Cover). If you currently hold nib OSHC and are interested in obtaining OVHC, you can seamlessly swap covers as an existing nib member all through the nib App. This means that you can enjoy the same great service and support that you have come to expect from nib, even after you graduate.