Nothing screams ‘weekend’ like pancakes for breakfast and these vegan blueberry pancakes are the perfect way to start your day. Using healthier alternatives to sugar and butter, this blended batter recipe takes no time to pull together, letting you enjoy the rest of your weekend.
- 2 tbsp chia seeds + ½ cup water
- 1 overly ripe banana
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- pinch sea salt
- 1-2 tsp maple syrup, optional
- ⅓ cup blueberries
- 2 tsp olive oil
- ½ cup blueberries
- extra cinnamon
- 2 tbsp coconut yoghurt or nut butter
- 1 tsp maple syrup, optional
- To make the chia mixture, combine 2 tbsp chia seeds and ½ cup water in a small bowl. Whisk to combine and set aside for 10 minutes to form a jelly-like consistency.
- Combine the banana, rolled oats, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. Add in the chia and water mixture, maple syrup (if using) and blueberries. Blend again until combined. Set aside for 10 minutes to allow the batter to bind
- To cook your pancakes, heat 1 tsp of olive oil in non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add 2 tbsp of pancake mixture to the pan and fry for 3 minutes on each side, or until the pancakes are golden and cooked through. Continue this process using the remaining olive oil and pancake batter.
- To serve, stack the pancakes on a plate and top with fresh blueberries, cinnamon, coconut yoghurt or nut butter and a drizzle of maple syrup, if desired.
If you enjoyed this vegan blueberry pancake recipe, we have more exclusive recipes and articles by Jessica Sepel at The Check Up’s dedicated page.