With Australia in the grips of a national bushfire emergency, nib Group (nib) is offering a relief package to members impacted by the devastating bushfires.
Eligible nib members living in bushfire-affected areas will be offered a three month health insurance premium waiver, covering 100% of their current premiums. Alternatively, members will also be given the option to suspend their policy for up to six months.
nib Group Executive Australian Residents Health Insurance, Ed Close said the relief package would assist members to maintain their health and wellbeing during what is an extremely difficult time.
“The premium waiver allows eligible nib members to effectively be given free health insurance for them and their family members for three months. This will hopefully relieve some of the financial pressures our members may be facing so they can focus on rebuilding their lives,” Mr Close said.
“Our thoughts are with everyone across Australia who have been impacted by the bushfires. We also send a heartfelt thanks to those protecting our people and country particularly the volunteer firefighters,” he added.
nib’s bushfire relief package also includes:
- Our specialist health management and emergency assistance team, nibAssist, will be available 24/7 for members and travellers who require immediate medical and non-medical health support and policy assistance. Members can contact the team on 1800 814 077.
- nib foundation will be donating $100,000 to local communities to support long-term community rebuilding efforts which will likely focus on financial support, mental health and fostering social connections.
- nib employees have raised over $15,000 which will be donated to the Australian Red Cross to support the on the ground disaster recovery efforts.
How do I know if I'm eligible?
The bushfire health insurance premium waiver will be available to nib members who:
- are an existing nib member who hold a policy as at Monday 13 January 2020 or at least three months prior to application;
- have been directly and adversely affected by the bushfires; and
- are receiving the Australian Government Disaster Recovery Allowance or the Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment.
How do I apply?
Send an email to [email protected] with:
- Your full name and nib policyholder number
- Your residential address
- A copy of your Australian Government Disaster Recovery Allowance or the Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment approval
You can also post this information to: nib health funds, Locked Bag 2010, Newcastle, NSW, 2300
We’re here to help and will be reaching out to potentially eligible members to advise them of the bushfire relief package and how to apply. Members are also encouraged to contact us via phone on 13 16 42, online at nib.com.au/disaster-relief, by email at [email protected] or by visiting one of our nib Retail Centres to discuss available assistance.