Skip to content

Updating your personal details

Personal details

The easiest way to update your personal details is by logging in to your nib account or the nib App.

Haven’t logged in to your member account before?

Frequently asked questions

Q: How do I change my contact details?

A: You can change your contact details by logging into yourmember account or the nib App and navigating to ‘My Policy’ tab and selecting ‘Personal details’. If you want to change the state you live in however, you will need to call us on 13 16 42.

Q: How do I change how nib contacts me?

A: When you join nib, you’ll be asked if you would like to receive communications from us by mail or email (also known as “Preferred method of contact”).

Having your preferred method of contact as email means we can contact you quickly about your health cover, and it reduces our carbon footprint.

If you have provided an email address when you joined, your preferred method of contact will be automatically selected as email, but you can change this at any time.

You can change the way we contact you in your member account or by contacting us.

Q: How do I change my name?

A: If you need to change your name, please contact us.

Q: What is third party authority?

A: Each health cover has a nominated policyholder. They are legally responsible for the policy, and anything we send will be addressed to them.

You can choose to give any person (as listed on your policy) authority to operate the policy (for example, a partner, parent or child). Without third party authority, anyone else on the policy can only make claims for themselves. With third party authority they can make claims on behalf of anyone listed on the policy, including you and your children.

They can also make changes, or make enquiries about:

  • Policy details (such as your address or phone number)

  • Level of cover

  • Payment methods

  • Adding people to the policy

You can give or remove third party authority by completing an authority form and returning it to us, or by contacting us.

Q: What if someone on the policy dies?

A: Losing a loved one can be overwhelming. There are often official matters to attend to and paperwork that needs to be taken care of during this emotional time.    

Anyone can contact us and advise of the death of a member, but only the executor can make changes to the policy. 

If you’re a relative or a friend of a member who has passed away, we can help you based on your individual circumstances.  

For more information, please call 131 643 or contact us.

Q: What if the policyholder is terminally ill or is in palliative care?

A. If you are a family member who is hoping to operate the policy on behalf of someone undergoing palliative care, extra documentation is required for Power of Attorney and Enduring Power of Attorney. Contact us for more information.

Q: How do I add or remove people from my policy?

A: To add someone to your policy, please contact us and we can confirm if we need any extra information or if the person needs to serve any waiting periods. If you’re considering adding a partner to your policy, have a look at our article 'When do you move from singles to couples cover?'.

To add or remove a child or young adult from your policy, check out our Dependants page. If you need to add a newborn, please see Pregnancy for more information.

Removing someone from your health cover

An authorised person can remove someone from your health cover at any time by contacting us.

Q: How do I change my income tier for the Australian Government Rebate?

A: You can register for the Australian Government Rebate, update your rebate tier and remove the Australian Government Rebate in member account or by calling us on 13 16 42.

To update your rebate tier in member account, click the ‘Government rebate’ panel. Select which rebate tier now applies to you and hit submit.

AGR OS - image

You can change your income tier at any time throughout the year.

Q: How do I change my gender details with nib?

A: We are required to have the same gender listed for you as what you have with Medicare. Once you have changed your gender with Medicare and want to update it with us, you will need to provide one of the following documents:

  • Valid Australian Government travel document which specifies your preferred gender e.g. Valid passport

  • State or Territory birth certificate which specifies your preferred gender

  • State or territory Gender Recognition Certificate or Recognised Details certificate showing a state or territory Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages has accepted a change in sex

  • Statement from a Registered Medical Practitioner or Registered Psychologist verifying your gender

We are currently working on making options for gender and titles more inclusive.

Continue to the next page

Related articles